Monday, December 5, 2011

Unit 9.!

1. I feel the American dream is being free with the feeling and urge to do whatever you want to do without harming and hurting others. I also think this is a reality because this is want eveyone wants at the end of the day. In this unit i think were going to get into maybe American history. Since this is the last unit i think Mr. Siegmund is trying to throw a twist in.
2. I chose the Harlem Renaissnace. I chose this because the African Americans felt that american dream was a lie and they weren't getting what they expected. In the story i expect to see a lot of people struggling during these times in New York. In the story they will be promoting their own talents that are unique to them. Such as music like Blues, Jazz and Gospel..!!
3. What i liked about the story is how the Slemmons lied about the fake gold in order to slepp with Joe's wife. I found that that was clever. I didnt like the fact of taking Missie May back at the end because she cheated on the man..! For fake gold..!! Overal i did like the story and would like to read more stories like this..!!
  They propmoting their own talents and cultures by talking the way she was talking in life for real.! This matters because this lingo was important because this was the way they talked. "Na, naw. Ah don't want you to git no sweeter than whut you is already. We goin' down de road a lil piece t'night so you go put yo' Sunday-go-to-meetin things." This is an example of dialecc because it shows you how exactly she sounded..!!
4. "Richard Corey", i think that the story was kind of a mislead becuase the people who thought Mr. Richard had it all, but he went home and killed himself..!! This is showings disillusionment because the people that admired him dont understand whats going on with him. "In fine, we thought that he was everythimg, To make us wish that we were in his place.

 "Mending Wall, i thought that this story wasn't relative towards me because i don't have a fence at my home but we are very cool with the neighbors. Therefore i didnt like the story. But in the story the nieghbor wanted to put up a fence but he kind of challenged the neighbor by saying the fence wasnt really necassary. The man that wanted the fence was disillusined because he was going on a saying that his father's saying without thought. This also shows disillusion because this isn't even a good fence and it shows that they get along fine.
He will not go behind his father’s saying,
And he likes having thought of it so well
He says again, “Good fences make good neighbours.”

 "Harlem". is a story that Langston Hughes wrote descibing the American dream. Saying that we get put off and our dreams get rotten and old and are just left and forgotten about. This story is an example of disillusion because he shows that we are foolish to still wait on changes and things to happen when its not.

"What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?"
 

"The Negro Speaks of Rivers" is also a poem written by Langston Hughes. In this poem he is saying how everyone is getting credit for the stuff that the Negros created.  This is disillusion because he wants to make sure that people know that white people didnt ceate these things."I bathed in the Euphrates when dawns were young."

Incident was a story that reminded me about everyday life. A lot of people go through life hoping to see big things but when they get there its nothing they thought it would be. I had a moment like this but it was just the oppisite. I was on a field trip to the aquarium. I thought it was gone be extra boring, but i liked it. In the story the man thinks he's going to move to the big city`and expects people not to be racisit. But he gets there and someone calls him a nigger. "And so I smiled, but he poked out
    His tongue, and called me, "Nigger."
  In the story Chicago I think the big city is what the writer describes in and more. I know its a tough city up there from what I little know about Al Copone's life. This is an example of disillusion because people dont know what really going on in Chicago. The writer agrees but also is saying they dont care. "Its Chicago if you dont like it forget you." "
And they tell me you are crooked and I answer: Yes, it is true I have seen the gunman kill and go free to kill again.
And they tell me you are brutal and my reply is: On the faces of women and children I have seen the marks of wanton hunger.

5. In this unit i showed how to find disillusion of the american dream. I showed in about 5 or 6 different poems how people are disillusione to the american dream. They wait and expect something good will happen soon but at the end of the day its still a dream that the government has forgot bout and left aside..!!

No comments:

Post a Comment